5 Ways You Can Help Prevent Child Abuse!
1. Help Yourself: When problems of everyday life pile up and you feel overwhelmed - take time out so that you don’t take it out on children. Learn the facts about child abuse and pay attention to the children in your life.
2. Help Children: Spend time listening to a child, reading to a child or playing a computer game with a child. Children need to know that they are appreciated, loved and capable of following their dreams.
3. Help Others: Support others with the children in their lives. Child abuse and neglect is a community issue and we can create our homes, schools and communities to be places where children are treated with respect.
4. Get Involved: Ask your community leaders, groups and institutions to develop services to meet the needs of children and families. Volunteer at agencies that support children and families. Stay informed about local, state and national policies that impact children.
5. Report: If you have reason to believe a child has been or may be harmed, call the Child Abuse Hotline in Missouri at 1-800-392-3738 or 911 for law enforcement. In Kansas call 1-800-922-5330.
The Child Protection Center is the only children’s advocacy center providing forensic interviews for alleged victims of child sexual or physical abuse in Jackson and Cass counties in Missouri. For more information go to www.cpckc.org or call 816-778-8000.